Friday, December 5, 2008

NHLSA

Thursday & Friday are the annual meeting and trade show. I went yesterday. I've been feeling tense all week, and I figured out this morning, it was because I had to give a presentation to 200+ people and sit and eat with the same...most of whom I don't know.

Well...I didn't die. The day actually went great! Met and mingled with a bunch of great people and gave my report as the Director of Education. It tokk all of 2 minutes.



There was fantastic chocolate desert!

I had had enough, though, by dinner time. My stomach was upset, didn't have anone to sit with at diner (so, I'd have to mingle and meet yet again) and I was tired of sitting...just wanted to go home...so I bolted.

I had contemplated letting my term lapse or even resigning...sometimes I get stressed out by this stuff. But I enjoy the monthly executive commitee meetings, chatting and discussing common issues with other guys like myself, who are licensed, business owners or managers, who have the same life events etc. There are awards to strive for and personal/proffesional goals to work on. It gives a place to gain that little "atta boy" burst of of endorphins that you don't get when youre already at the top in tyour own sphere of work.

I wonder if NHLSA is what it's like to belong to a college fraternity, only of respectable adults. I look at all these good, important people doing cool stuff for the profession, for NH and survey law, for education, with scholarships and such...and this morning realize that to anyone else at the meetings looking at me...I'm one of those people. Kind of wierd.

Maybe I should strive to be more active in the association.



So I'm feeling pretty energized and relaxed at the same time today.

No comments: