Sunday, December 7, 2008

Y Tu Mamá También

I love watching movies, although lately I’ve been batting about .250 in picking good ones. I like weird stuff, sci-fi. drama, thrillers, etc almost everything except maybe the Friday 13th/Saw genre.

So Friday night, Tracy & picked out Y Tu Mamá También. Now there’s a different Movie! Not mainstream, it seems kind of weird; I liked it…though some of it has haunted me the rest of the weekend. It made for a fun evening after the movies was over though :).
Anyway, aside from the describing what I like, which might be a spoiler….I’ve had some odd thoughts on the movie itself, given my last 9 months of learning Spanish.

1. We watched the movies with English Subtitles on…It’s in Spanish. I found much of it very distracting and somewhat of a sensory overload. I understand enough Spanish now to know, much of the time, what people are saying, if I can see a context. So I listened in Spanish, Read subtitles in English, Listened to English songs on the radio in the movies and tried to absorb some pretty wild scenes. I think I would have been better just to watch it in Spanish.

2. There was so much slang, used in context; I’m hoping I picked up some more uses.

3. I wonder how true to life the movie mirrors real-life and attitudes in Mexico. Most movies have some sort of basis in reality (if not sci fi etc)

4. There seems to be a cultural difference in what is OK to show in a Movie. Spoiler alert!!! There was a lot of full frontal male nudity in this movie, way more than a movie from the US, as well as some pretty graphic male scenes. Less so with the female star. Some nice ass shots (which was very nice…Maribel Verdu has a beautiful juicy big round butt) but really, not much female nudity in general, and nothing frontal below the waist. Everyone talked more about sex though, than in a US movie and more than I though Latinas would. Of course, it is just a movie :)

5. It’s only the second Spanish movie I’ve seen, but it does seem like everything’s not all happy endings, good guy gets the girl. The protagonists surely don’t end up very well.

6. The erotic nature of the movie sure had a positive impact on the rest of my weekend.

7. If I found “Heaven’s Mouth” I wouldn’t leave. I’d grow some food, fish and enjoy life…looked like such an awesome place.

No comments: