Monday, June 29, 2009

Measure twice...

Friday night, Tracy & I went to Pedraza's... again! Good stuff....I highly recommend it. Afterwards, we went to a candy store on Main Street and had gelatos....yummy! (I'll remember the name for a future "Good Eats In Keene")

On Saturday, we went to Ashley's graduation from the New England Culinary Institute. 2009 06 27_0971 She is a completely amazing pastry chef!!! The fantastic deserts she creates give huge Mouth-orgasms! I know success is going to follow her wherever she goes. What a feast the school put on after graduation, too.

2009 06 27_0939 Also, I got to chat with Jared, Ashley's boyfriend, un pocito en español. I forgot that he speaks Spanish. It made my day. Real chatting ... not just canned phrases from conversational class.  Just a little chat, but it was cool for me.

 

After we got home, Mom & Dad brought the kids back. They watched them all day and took them to the Gilsum Rock Swap. We decided not to cook, nobody felt like making anything, and so we went out for pizza at Amicci's. I DO love that place! My favorite eating establishment, by far, in Keene! Good People, good food, and comfy atmosphere. They even changed the TV channel when a non-kid friendly show came on. Very cool!

On Sunday, I finally accomplished some chores that have been nagging at me for months... I fixed the leak in the sump pump room, the leak near the dryer and the light fixture over the dryer.

About these repairs...measuring for a living has it's benefits....and you' ld think that would would carry over to plumbing. "Measure twice, cut once," the old saying goes.  With me and plumbing, it's more like measure 4-5 times cut, re-cut, take apart, do over, sweat like a pig, swear, jam the dam thing in and have it look all crooked, finally finish and get it to work without leaks, and then bother me for ever after that it's not perfect.  At least it's done, and it really doesn't matter esthetically anyway.  All our plumbing is old and I'm sure I'll get more practice. I actually like putting the pipes together and soldering and what-not.  The pain in the ass part is that it is repairing existing stuff and there's always water, always it's hot and humid, nothing ever has a standard measurement, it's always located inconveniently and there's always toys and junk in my way. And of course. the measuring thing.

By the time I got to the light fixture, I was ready to be done. I took it apart and found the metal clip had come off from the light bulb screw holder. I could have gone BACK to Home Depot and bought 2 fixtures, so I could also fix the stairwell light, but at 4:00 PM, tired, my arm aching and being drenched with sweat, slime and basement debris, I decided to solder the dam thing with a blowtorch, a 10p nail and some plumbing solder. Perfecto! The stairwell can wait.

Afterward, I went out and weeded and thinned carrots in the bog that was once my garden, in order to relax. I came in when the rain got a little heavier. The garden has such a healing quality.

To continue with the relaxation mode, I decided to make a good dinner...Tacos Pescados, Frijoles charros, arroz mexicana y maíz asado con Tajin y mantequilla. Qué rico!! Tracy went and got Bear claw ice cream at Stuart & Johns (another future "Good Eats" episode) for desert.

We watched the next installment of True Blood and a new show -"Hung" (eh) and then went to bed

 

The weekend finished very nicely!

No comments: