Monday, February 2, 2009

The Mind/Body Connection

Last fall, while working on my post and beam shed, I pulled my shoulder out of its socket pounding a beam overhead into place. That and a sore knee that was bugging me stopped my workouts dead. I thought I’d take a few weeks off to let things heal, which, as it turned out, ended up being a 4 month hiatus.

Yesterday, I couldn’t take it, I had to get back to working out, so I got off my lazy ass and started up my workout program again. Not super intensity...start slow. I did 3/10’s of squats then dead lifts, 3/10’s of bench-press and pull-ups, and 3/10’s of curls, dips, shoulder press and some rotator cuff exercise. Lastly, I did some abs stuff. I was so stoked afterwards. The energy was off the hook. Testosterone and endorphins were pumping through me.

I went and picked up Jeremiah from his buddy's birthday party and we went to a big sledding and snowmobile hill at Depot Road. We climbed the hill a few times and snowboarded down, for about an hour and a half. Again….complete exhilaration! And of course, the aerobic exercise can't be beat. Hiking back up the hill in 2+ feet of snow is no easy feat.

What a head clearer! The cobwebs seemed to fall away.

Today I’m sore, but in a good way. My body feels great, I feel alive. And my head seems so clear. What has been taking me all day to do on Mondays is done already. I had forgotten, in my hiatus during the dark months, what makes me feel good. Winter is such a fun time of year to play outside. Might as well take advantage of the free time and make the best of it. Your body and mind make reality, not the other way around!

No comments: