Thursday, November 19, 2009

One of my favorite towns, Walpole, NH

Ok, I know…I’m from Westmoreland, and it took me a few years but I found my way back and now I have a great place on a quiet country road. So, in fact, Westmoreland, IS my favorite town.

That being said, there are a number of other cool places on my list (yes, I keep lists; these are on the “towns I would like to live in” or “favorite towns” lists…maybe I’ll go on about lists and the list game in a future blog, without naming any names to protect the innocent; and not so innocent); locally, Walpole & Keene, NH and Brattleboro, VT are on my favorite towns list. If I had the ducats, maybe I would pick someplace more exotic, tropical, mountainous or exciting, but I think I would always keep my place here as a retreat.

In reality (IF i had the ducats), I would love to live on a schooner; two masts, a couple of square sails too, a small kitchen, and an anchor to pull at any given time, like a small pirate ship. lil-boat I would live on the boat and not have a “homeland” so to speak. It would be great to run a little tavern, eatery or Palapa on shore, serve whatever I was making that day, along with some tasty beers, and coffee. I’d keep the hours I felt, swim when it was hot, fish and grow vegetables, have chickens for the eggs. I would also hang out a sign as a surveyor and help people out with boundary problems, or laying out a water line or building or something.

Ideally, I’d be in a country that spoke Spanish, so I could use and better my Spanish skills and even help those unfortunates who showed up without a common phrases book and didn’t speak a lick of anything but English. I’d close shop every once in a while and disappear on an adventure, an escape, or to just visit home in New England. (See, even in my dream, I can’t escape calling HERE home).

Palapa Palapa 2

So, I’ve gone way off track, folks.  I meant to talk about Walpole, NH.

Walpole is so beautiful, and there are all these cool places to shop or eat…Burdick's, The Walpole Village Tavern, the Walpole Village Market are just a few. I’ve been frequenting the Market and Burdick's recently, as I had planning board meetings in town for a subdivision that I did. The Market has an awesome deli and all kinds of imported and local epicurean delights. I found chorizo, made in house, last trip. Next door is Burdick’s, and I can’t seem to stop by without picking up some cocoa powder covered cocoa beans. They are so good, bitter and chocolate. Burdick's is also a fantastic gourmet restaurant. I’ll have to do some gustatory research and devote a future good eats to a dinner at Burdick's and a night at the Tavern, also a fine restaurant.

VillageMarket Tavern

Until then, from my Favorite Town,  Ciao!

No comments: