Monday, October 26, 2009

Thank God...I'm finished!

Well....not completely finished.  I have this woodshed/woodworking shop I've been building, using hand tools & post and beam construction. Kind of a life sized model for adults using methods and materials circa 1800. I've got to tell you, todos, this project has been taxing my mental state for weeks. I've built, re-built, designed, redesigned, measured, re-measured and redesigned again, this foolish shed roof.  You might say I get a little obsessive sometimes ;)

Work goes in phases, based on the time I have on weekends, and after work daylight hours.  I've been attempting all autumn to finish the roof so I can park my woodworking tools in the shop and out of the moldy basement, and so I can stack my winters wood and keep it dry.

I wanted to completely finish this weekend, but 2 obstacles stood in my way...drenching downpours all Saturday, making working on a roof impossible, and the lack of proper funding for shingles. (I haven't been able to pick up any extra septic designs lately to subsidize my extra curricular activities) I've also been on the fence as to whether I should use cedar shakes or slate shingles.

Sunday, though...what a day! I was out in the yard by 9:00 and I worked until dark around 7pm. The whole roof is now framed and trimmed. Now all I need is shingles. Looks like slate is going to be pretty hard to come by and as luck would have it, Tracy said we have a bit extra this month, if I want to go buy cedar shingles this coming weekend. 

Its soooo beautiful out to day...a perfect cool, sunny autumn day...and it's almost beyond my physical capacity to remain at work while my project lies so close to completion...but without the ducats....I'm going to have to be satisfied with daydreaming. 

No comments: