Monday, November 15, 2010

And the beat goes on….

Blogging notebook & coffee Howdy folks!  As you probably have noticed, my blog posts have been few and far between of late. I’m sorry, if you look forward to reading them; and you’re welcome, if you have enjoyed the relief from them. 

To be honest, I have been entirely uninspired lately. I feel like I am suffering from a writer’s block, if blog posters can suffer that malady.  I really enjoy writing, and last year, I made it sort of a goal to publish a blog at least once a week. For a while, I was doing just that, and I actually felt pretty good about some of the material that I had written.

Lately, I just haven't felt that energy build up, that need for a mental release into the void. And really, that’s what it is for me, too, a big mental release. The idea starts flowing around in my head, and it builds and bubbles, aches and ferments, until finally, I have to get it out. I write it down, tell somebody, and get it out of my head. And just like when I decide to do a painting or sketch, or do a project outside over the long term, I am completely exhausted and wiped out when I finish. Emptied and satisfied. When I am writing (or doing some other creative endeavor), putting my soul into it, and its coming out well, I even break out into a full sweat. The process and afterglow are akin to that other feeling we all know and love.

Of course, its not like nothing has been happening, and I haven’t actually been busy. Work seems to be picking up, the phone rings, we get jobs, I can bill my time; so despite whatever the Media and the all knowing “THEY” say, I think things have picked up. I find that the busier things get, the less time and creativity I have to devote to writing something insightful.

Another detriment to my creative blog juice flow has been the summer project schedule. Around home, my list of yearly projects, my outdoor fun, has been completed for the year. That doesn’t often happen, where I actually find that my weekend to do list is devoted to such things as: Read a book, Go for walk, Watch a movie. I had so many projects on the To Do list at the turn of the year back in January. That has been the mainstay of my weekend warrior time, and for the most part, the main influence for my blogging. Now that they are done, I have to retreat back into the darkness and meditate, pull out some new goals and ideas, new landscaping projects and garden designs to work at. I have been pondering building an outside mud/brick oven for cooking, and a bunny hutch for our furry friends in the basement, but my yard is beginning to look like Farmville.

I guess that the withdrawal from active to passive sort of flows with the season’s rhythms, though. As it gets darker and the Solstice approaches, we begin to hibernate a bit. I know that I begin to do more things of an inner nature, like meditate, read, paint, eat tasty foods and just relax, sit by the fire and chill. Mentally regroup while maintaining energy through the holiday season. Once the snow gets here, and the holidays have past, it’ll be a different story… then I can start snowshoeing, sledding and snowboarding… playing outside in the delicious cool winter air without a whole lot obligatory events to attend.  And so the Wheel turns.

So as far as blogging is concerned, maybe I just need to practice, perhaps doing some automatic writing exercises (I think that this post is something along that line actually) just to get the creative juices flowing again. And because part of the process is publishing my little trinkets of wisdom and life observations, you, my dear readers and friends, may just have to wade through a couple three columns of blah before I get my thing going again.

So thanks for reading my mental meandering. I promise I’ll get back to something with a little more meat on its bones in the near future.

No comments: