Monday, July 26, 2010

Berry picking on a summer day…

Blackberries  Well, Folks, as you probably know, if you have read any of my blogs or follow me on Facebook at all, weekend relaxing for me comes in the form of backbreaking yard work, construction projects, landscaping and gardening. If I don’t have some project, or at least the lawn to mow, I get all hitchy and anxious. I like to do stuff.

It’s not that I don't enjoy chilling out, sitting by the fire, reading a book or hanging at the beach… I really do. I just need to go away to do them. If I’m around home, there is always something that I have wanted to get done. I have an image in my mind of the little Eden that I am slowly creating on our plot of land, a place to get away from the world. A place without “The News”, without “Politics”, without jobs and clients and planning boards, a place where I grow my own organic foods that are nourishing to the body and bring peace to the spirit.

imageThis little dream has a lot of components, and as of yet, they are not all built or in operation, so that is the source of my incessant business (for lack of a better word) It’s getting there. This weekend, I got a good start on our little fruit orchard… 4 apple trees, 2 pears, 1 plum. I would like 1 more plum, 2 peach trees and two of something else, so far planned only as “the last two spots”

But today… I took a break. After putting up another section of fence near our “orchard”, I took a swim and decided to sit on the patio, drink coffee and read. That lasted 5 minutes. I asked the kids if they would like to take a hike up the road from our house to the top of this bald hill and check for berries. The instant change from bored and bickering to polite, enthusiastic and energized was a miracle to behold.  We got ready in a record 5 minutes and headed up to the hill. image

We cal it Allard’s Hill, because about 5 years ago, I was hired by a gentleman, Mr. Allard, to survey and subdivide his 100+/- ace parcel.  He had clear cut the entire top of the hill, which was a little disturbing, but he had a vision of a wildflower and berry meadow. It was hard to picture amidst the mud and exposed ledge at the time. The survey was fun, I learned a lot of history about the people and properties on our road and really, we couldn’t solve the mystery of the property line locations until I came across a will written in the 1840’s that described everything.

Today, the place is beautiful. We go there quite often. Mr. Allard eventually sold the property, without subdividing or building a single house, but his legacy of the beautiful wildflower/berry hilltop meadow has become a reality. The place is teeming with berry bushes and wildflowers of all types and there is tons of wildlife. We saw a huge flock of Turkeys with their babies and found evidence of bears eating blackberries all over the place (evidence of course = poop). image

Grace and I wandered all over the hill, picking berries from the countless blackberry patches. It is still a little early, in another week or two, I imagine gallons of berries will be ready for the taking, but we still managed to fill up her berry basket. The new owners have set up a weather station, and a picnic spot at the top, with a log book for visitors. Jeremiah did a great sketch of the view from the table and wrote them a nice note.

image

 

The four of us, George came too, finally ended up at the picnic table and we just sat, stared at the view and filled our faces with blackberries, and still managed to preserve about 1/2 basket to bring home for ice-cream later and oatmeal for breakfast.

So there it is, folks. Occasionally, I do take a break, and this afternoon’s break was a good one!

8 comments:

Toni Tralala said...

These are lovely shots of your area! I've never tasted blackberries before. *hmm*

Now that's a relaxing summer activity I would go for.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Toni! Nice to meet you.

Blackberries are the sooo delicious, but too many = a belly ache :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Russ

Toni Tralala said...

Hey Russ! The pleasure is mine. :P

I'm not a fan of berries but I won't knock it till I try it. Ayayay! Are they anything like blueberries? I can hack that but strawberries, I won't even consider. lol.

You're welcome! I was looking for your "follower" button. Maybe I'm just blind as a bat. :|

Unknown said...

Hey Toni,

I guess blackberries might be kind of Blueberry-ish with grape mixed in. Hard to say. They are tasty.

I added a follow button if you would like to follow me. :)

Thanks

Toni Tralala said...

Oooh okay, now I have an idea. I'll give it a try when I get to the States. My flight is on the 26th! :)

I shall. Thanks! ;)

Unknown said...

on the 26th...where are you now? You do a lot of traveling, no?

Have a FB account?

Toni Tralala said...

I'm based in California now. I've been traveling all over cities near our place. We plan to go to Vegas next month.

Yeah, I have a FB account. Give me your details because my settings are so private that people can't add me. lol.

Unknown said...

Hey Toni,

You can find me on Facebook here... http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=709268031