Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 is upon us!

January Sunrise So it’s finally here…2010. Since the Solstice, we've been sitting by the fires, hibernating in our dens; eating comfort foods, watching movies, napping, playing on-line, re-connecting with friends and family, old and new. As this weekend draws to a close and our annual hibernation is over, it’s time to re-emerge into the world. The winter is far from over, but already the sun’s weak energy is influencing us to action and motion.

Years ago, in a previous life, I was sent to a Dale Carnegie course, kind of a promotion and transition in the place that I worked. I actually got a great deal out of that course. One of the things that has stuck with me all these years is a tool to use, a successful method to help achieve ones goals in life. Simply put, you have to put your goal out there into the cosmos. Dale Carnegie

Setting a goal for yourself, and keeping it to yourself, often times relegates that goal to the dreaded “Someday” list. Publicizing your goals on the other hand, gives you motivation, especially if you tell people who you love, that you look up to, who you respect, etc. For some reason it works to give you some kind of responsibility, a commitment or pledge, even if only imagined, that is harder to break. It’s not a guarantee, but it is a great motivator…and as I’ve always found…ANY help in the right direction is GOOD help.

So in keeping with this theory, I’ would like to offer to you, my dear friends and readers, my lists of goals and resolutions for the coming year….my voodoo for making my dreams a reality, if you will. And of course, being a Virgo and a compulsive list-maker and categorizer, it’s all listed out below, with pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Personal goals

  • kids_san_juan_checking_time_4960Continue my Spanish Studies. I feel pretty comfortable reading, and not so bad at writing, but my verbal skills are still pretty poor. This year I will focus on actually talking to people. (Se tiene que mover la boca, como dicen mis amigos). I’ve developed a love and passion for the language, thanks to a few friends, now it’s time to USE it.
  • Writing my list Continue writing. Sounds simple. I’m going to add to this simple task the added depth of developing my two blog series into something I publish monthly…something with a little more substance. I’ve been inspired by two of my favorite blogs “you don’t have to read v2.0” & “aromasysabores”. and I want to step it up…to be in the same league.
  • WashingtonTake another family vacation this summer. Although plans aren’t really made as to destination, I would like to go for a week to some place like Colonial Williamsburg, Quebec City, or Washington DC. Maybe a week’s tour of the 19+/- Smithsonian Museums. Something for us to remember as a family, to learn from and enjoy together.  Another family camping vacation at the end of the summer is also in the queue.
  • Quebec Harbor Get a passport for myself and the family. I guess this is probably kind of critical if we want to go to Canada or Mexico in the near future.
  • Begin, in earnest, the long dreamed of Tavern…at least the plans. It’s a far reaching goal involving an Inn/Tavern, the sea (or maybe a river), a boat, a small surveying business in a side office, cooking, live music, and other, as yet unpublished thoughts. Breakfast and dinner only.
  • Start the process to become licensed as a surveyor in Massachusetts. I’ve passed the national exam and have my NH license. Just need to build a portfolio, and apply for the Mass State exams (written and oral) I’m going to sit for the exam in October, as it’s too late to apply for the April examinations.
  • Become more involved in my professional associations; NHLSA, NHANRS & GSDI.
  • Continue the quest and devote my free time at home to beautifying the yard with gardens, fences, walls, plants, flowers, etc. The plan evolves as I do stuff, so who knows what the final outcome will be. Right now I have in my mind to: finish the split rail fence down the south side of the driveway and out to the woods; cut down the dying trees; plant 4 apple trees in the front “orchard”; continue the “wetland” garden with more blueberries, cattails, winterberry holly & cranberries.; clean up the bank behind the house; finish off the driveway bank with more rugosa roses and a stone retaining wall near the house; build a new compost bin; more/new chickens and a new coop location near the shed
  • Host a summer bash, hopefully a solstice party.
  • And as always, step up the workouts and health conscious dietary choices to get back to “fighting form”

It’s a lot of stuff, I know, but for me, the more the merrier. It’ll take me all year to do it all, whether I have one goal or a hundred….might as well fill my dance card.

Thanks for listening and please people…hold me to it!

No comments: