Friday, August 14, 2009

T -60 minutes and counting

This is it..vacation starts in less than an hour (although in realty, I'll still be here at the office for at least 2-1/2 because I'm going to work out before I leave.)

The whole family is pretty excited... I'm excited just to able to sleep past 5:30 am.

I'll post some pics next time and maybe do a Good Eats in Town ~ on the road edition.

Work was different this week. Not much billable, but a flurry of activity with new projects starting up, seemingly successful interviews and some BIG project proposals. I'll die if we get Enfield WMA...that is a surveyors dream job. Twenty one miles of semi-wilderness surveying and over a year to finish it. It's a long shot, I know, but man...if we get it!

A friend sent me a story by Hernando Téllez - Espuma y nada más. (Thanks Anna8) I remember reading it back in 6-8th grade days in Westmoreland (but in English) it's one of those stories that has stuck with me all these years...I'm excited to read it in Spanish. I just enjoyed a short story by Márquez that Lili posted on Spanishpod (in Spanish). I like the book group thing.  One thing I've begun to realize....you just can't translate stories....You have to know what they say in the native language they are written in AND understand all the colloquialisms that the writer understood when writing it.  So much is lost in translation, even the little nuances that really change a meaning of a simple sentence. Makes you wonder about the Bible  :)

Still wish I had someone to regularly converse with. It's easy and comfortable enough at my own pace, talking to myself i the truck or in the woods in Spanish, but still...complete brain freeze face to face (not that there are really any opportunities anyway)

I put a wooden shingle roof on the garden gate, built I'm going to take it off and put on the cedar shingles that I got for $5. It looks so nice. My Art is my Garden and the yard is my canvas.

Does anybody even ever read this stuff? Who knows. At least it gets it out of my head  :)

2 comments:

Dan and Dot said...

Hey Russ. Good point about the Bible - that's why it's important to learn Greek and Hebrew - maybe you can start on those next ;) I wish I knew more of them. It is amazing some of the Bible teachers out there can lecture for hours on a just a paragraph of Scripture. A lot of assumptions can be made if you are not careful. Anyway, I was just thinking of you 'cause I was just talking to Nate (for the last time here at the office, unfortunately). And yeah, I do come on here every once in a while to read your posts - great stuff! Take care....

-Dan

Unknown said...

Hey Dan - How are things?