Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Qué Bummer!

So I  went again today to my favorite Mexican eating establishment. The last few times I've been there some of the wait staff throw in little Spanish words and I've heard them speaking Spanish to each other. Cool, I thought, next time I go, I'll make myself get up the nuts to talk in Spanish.

I went today. The waiter came over " Hola, amigo, how you doing, Just one today?"

"Yes please," I chicken heartedly replied.

A few minute s later, after I had had a chance to review the ever-excellent menu, he came back and asked what could he get for me.

"Quisiera el numero once, por favor."

"Ok, be right back," and moments later he was, "is ground beef OK?"

"pollo, por favor"

"OK"

I was a little disappointed, I think I spoke correctly, and even after a couple more little similar exchanges, where I was determined to pass my time at the restaurant speaking only Spanish, the waiter only spoke English back to me and seemed a little uncomfortable, and only came back after my meal was served to give me my check.

Man! I just can't get anybody to speak Spanish with me.

No comments: